Tuesday 9 September 2014

University Checklist / Preparation

If you're my age and going to univeristy, the next two weeks are probably going to be the busiest and most anxious as we prepare to move out of our family home and into halls of residence with a set of other students we have not yet met. In all honesty I'm very excited. I'm not viewing it as 'moving out' or leaving my entire life behind, but putting it into perspective- I'm merely going to uni! I'll probably be home every other weekend- I'm never more than a couple of hours from home. So no need to stress. 

What could be stressful though is preparing the colossal amount of things we need to take with us- from bedding to laptops; it can all get very confusing. Recently my parents and I had a visit to Asda Living, and there we filled four large baskets with homeware, bedroom decorations and kitchen utensils. These are the kind of expenses a student loan doesn't cover and the things we don't always think about when planning to go to uni- but these items really are essential. 

For the bedroom, you'll probably need a new duvet, quilt cover, pillows and bedding. Another item I'd highly recommend is a mattress topper- they're fairly inexpensive and ensure a comfortable and clean base- you never know who's been living in that room before you... ugh. Other than that, have you thought about storage? Maybe plastic boxes, laundry baskets and extra shelving would come in handy- I suppose it's all very personal to your requirements. To make my room cosy, I'm planning on buying a couple of soft cushions, maybe some fairy lights and photo frames to make everything feel warm and homely. The last thing I want is a cold shell of a room- it needs to feel like a place of my own. 

Aswell as all of that, there's the kitchen utensils to think about. I walked down the aisle and literally filled my basket- you'll be surprised how much there is and how much you'll need. Cutlery, bottle openers, tin openers, baking trays and tongues- my accomodation is self-catered so I'm planning on rustling up some (hopefully) impressive and affordable meals. I also picked up some glasses and mugs, plates and bowls. There's so much to remember! 

Electricals. Depending on your course, other items you'll need in your flat are a laptop, printer, small tv and even a desk lamp. These are things most of us have already, but I've had to buy a new laptop and tv. Moving to univeristy can be expensive, but look for the best deals and buy items that will last you the duration of your studies. I bought a white Samsung TV and Toshiba laptop in a matching colour, I'm so thrilled and think they look so pretty; I'm in love. 



After collecting an enormous pile of bits and bobs, I also began to prepare for other aspects of my time at univeristy.  The English department sent me a reading list- the names of 6 or 7 books I am expected to purchase (and in some cases read... argh) before I arrive. This is something to bear in mind, does your course require any kind of preparation? My department have even given me a few 'tasks' to complete before my induction... homework before I even get there! I suppose I've gotten lazy over summer and the thought of educational work intimidates me slightly! I'll soon get back into the rhythm of things once I move in- I'm looking forward to it. 

Hope some of you found this post useful and interesting, even if you're not going to univeristy and just fancied a nosey. Make sure you follow me on twitter, I'm always posting on there about univeristy plans and what I'm up to... What kind of posts would you like to see next, an insight into the items I bought, advice about moving away? Let me know in the comments below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment