Saturday 23 August 2014

The British Tag

Now my blog is up and running, I have noticed that a large proportion of my readership is international and not just from the UK.  For that reason, I thought this tag would be a fun insight into British culture and would also show you a few facts and thoughts of my own. Feel free to comment your ideas below and even answer the questions in the comments! Also, what other kind of posts would you like to see from me in the near future? I'm thinking of possibly uploading some fashion and entertainment ideas and reviews. Let me know! 



1. How many cups of tea do you drink a day and how many sugars? My mum and sister are true tea lovers and in some ways their habits have rubbed off on me. Although I don't get through quite as many cups a day as them, I drink at least one or two teas daily. It has to be traditional 'English Breakfast Tea', and I take one sugar and a small amount of milk- quite standard. I'm drinking one now as I write.  As well as tea though, I'm a hot chocolate lover and I have a definite sweet tooth. 
 2. Favourite part of your roast? Having a Sunday Dinner is quite a tradition in the UK and my family often get together for a carvery. It's so difficult to choose a favourite part because I honestly love them all. I think it would either be the meat, mash or Yorkshire pudding. Everything has to be covered in gravy too, I'm hungry just thinking about it. 
 3. Favourite dunking biscuit? In my opinion you can't beat a custard cream when it comes to dunking, they're traditional, inexpensive biscuits and you can't go wrong.  The chocolate digestive comes in a close second though. There's no biscuit I don't like!

4. Favourite quintessentially British past time? My favourite 'British' past time would probably be countryside walks. Living in Lancashire, there are rolling hills and country lanes everywhere I look. Since I was a child I have enjoyed walks around the village with my grandparents and dogs, I have so many lovely memories of time spent in the outdoors with the farm animals and wildlife. I'm lucky to live somewhere with such beautiful scenery around every corner. 
 5. Favourite word? One of my favourite words to use is 'belting', a word similar to brilliant which means 'really good'. For example, I might say 'we had a belting day out' or 'she's a belting singer'. I'm not sure if this word is something exclusive to Lancashire or whether it's used all of the UK, but I think it's really fun.   
6. Cockney rhyming slang? I know lots of rhyming slang, but being northern I don't tend to use it in my everyday language.  My grandma used to call the stairs 'apples and pears' when we were growing up, and we often call eyes 'mincers', coming from the rhyme mince pies for eyes. When you explain this kind of thing in writing, we British do seem a strange bunch. 
 7. Favourite sweet? My favourite sweet is probably chocolate, and Cadbury's is the best brand the UK has to offer. You cannot go wrong with a traditional Cadbury's dairy milk. Galaxy chocolate is a fave of mine too, it's hard to say!


 8. What would your pub be called? I like the idea of owning an old fashioned pub, somewhere mysterious where you might find outlaws, ghosts and pirates. So for that reason I'd name it something like The Old Tavern or The Highwayman Arms. 
 9. No.1 British person? It would be a crime not to name the royal family as the epitome of British culture, and apart from the gorgeous William and Kate- my favourite royal is probably Prince Harry. He's young and boisterous, and I like how he's always close to getting into trouble. Remember his naked antics in Vegas? I think he's pretty cool. 
 10. Favourite shop/restaurant? Topshop/Topman is an incredible example of a homegrown British fashion brand and is always at the heart of the high street, something other countries just don't have. Most of my clothing is from Topman, it's always up to date with the latest trends and offers good quality items you know will last. 
11. What British song pops into your head? If it isn't a hymn like Jerusalem or Land Of Hope And Glory, the first pop song that comes to mind is Wannabe by The Spice Girls. They're so iconic and represented Britain on the world stage back in the day. This song is their most famous and is definitely very British. Listen to it here



 12. Marmite? I don't like the taste of marmite at all, but Marmite flavoured crisps are unusually nice. I have only tried them a few times but remember enjoying them. Marmite isn't really as big a thing in the UK as it is made out to be in other countries, I haven't seen a tub of it for years! 

Thanks for reading guys. Don't forget to follow me on bloglovin, my links for twitter and instagram are at the top of the page too. :-)  

9 comments:

  1. Aww, I do love this post, it's nice to know something a little more about a blogger who I follow. :-)

    Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good I'm glad you liked it. I can do more posts like this if you like knowing more personal stuff :-)

      Delete
  2. I'd love to do this tag aha it's a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was super enjoyable! And I have to say I totally agree about Cadbury- SO GOOD! I wish we had more of it stateside!
    Keep up the lovely posts!
    xo, Teryn
    The Rucksack Diaries (http://www.diariesofarucksack.com/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay so happy you enjoyed! Don't be jealous, the USA has so much food and candy I wish we had over here!
      Thankyou x

      Delete